Bulge '65 rough/road movement

Wondering if that road goes through the hex or beside it? Post your comments and questions here!

Bulge '65 rough/road movement

Postby ahikschas » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:56 am

Bert and I are playing a game of Battle of the Bulge ('65) and I've come across something fairly odd in the back of the Battle Manual. In the Appendix, there's a question regarding movement through rough terrain. It reads:

"Can a Unit move through rough terrain on a road and leave rough terrain, say via SS-21 to RR21, in the same Turn? ANSWER: No -- that unit would either have to end its Turn on SS21 or leave rough terrain by road square RR-22. This situation also applies to dense woods movement." (See image below)

This indicates that it's not legal to leave a rough/road hex onto a clear hex unless via the road. However, rule 7 of the Rough Terrain section of the Basic game rules allows units to move along a road through rough terrain, then move one hex off into rough before stopping. So, taken together, those two say that a unit can move onto one more rough terrain hex from a rough/road but not onto a clear hex (unless via the road). Can that be right?
ahikschas
Site Admin

Re: Bulge '65 rough/road movement

Postby Paul Q » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:37 pm

This was posted at CSW concerning rough terrain. There are other interesting posts on this game there as well.

Maybe something here will help

General magazine Vol.4, No.5 1/2/1968
If a unit moves directly from square UU19 to square TT19, has it used its entire movement allowance for that turn?
Answer: Yes. It IS possible to move from UU18 to BB33;from NN25 to KK23;from UU18 to MM25; or from MM25 to RR30 in one turn. It IS NOT possible to move from TT18 to KK26, or from LL12 to JJ14 in one turn. (We assume a movement factor of 4 here).

General magazine Vol.10, No.1 5/6/1973
May units starting on non-road, rought terrain squares move to a rought terrain road square and continue along the road in the same turn, realizing that units on non-road clear terrain squares may not make such a move?
Answer: Yes

May a unit enter a square such as NN25 on one road and continue along the other road all in the same turn without entering Clervaux?
Answer: No

From an unknown edition of the 'General' magazine
Under what cases may a unit leave a road/rough terrain to enter a non-rough terrain hex?
Answer: A unit may never enter a non-rough terrain hex from a road/rough terrain hex unless it started its move in that hex or it enters that hex along a road.

Joe Geistwhite
Paul Q

Re: Bulge '65 rough/road movement

Postby ahikschas » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:39 pm

Thanks Paul. Not exactly what I'm looking for as those don't address my issue but I appreciate the effort. I've seen those Q/A's in a file Bert sent me. I'll attach it here for anyone else's use, in case anyone hasn't seen it. It's Q/A's culled from the General's "Question Box" up through Vol. 13, No. 3.
ahikschas
Site Admin

Return to Wargame Rules Interpretations