Bridge Interdiction in Battle of the Bulge 81

Wondering if that road goes through the hex or beside it? Post your comments and questions here!

Bridge Interdiction in Battle of the Bulge 81

Postby kbomb » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:55 am

According to Rule 28.7.3.2 "German units cannot cross a bridge in an interdicted hex".

This rule appears contradictory. If taken literally, then if a bridge hex is interdicted each turn, then no German units can ever cross, even if they are infantry. However, according to other rules, if an ordinary river hex is interdicted, then infantry units can still cross, after stopping one turn. Given that: 1) interdiction doesn’t destroy the bridge, 2) each turn lasts 12 hours, 3) each hex is 2 miles wide, and 4) interdiction cannot be maintained continuously, it doesn’t make realistic sense that the presence of a bridge can completely block movement across the interdicted hex.

Therefore, has this rule ever been updated, for example, at gaming conventions, in The General, etc?

My wargaming group believes the rule is incomplete and has suggested the following bridge hex interdiction interpretation:

A) Any German unit (armor, infantry, artillery) can move onto an interdicted bridge hex if it has enough MPs (movement points) to cover the normal MP cost plus the interdiction penalty (+1 or +2 MPs depending on unit type).
B) The unit must then stop on the bridge hex, regardless if it still has MPs leftover.
C) The unit can then move away during the next turn, regardless if the bridge hex is interdicted again.

Any comments regarding the rule or the interpretation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
kbomb

Postby COLTDAGUY » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:37 pm

Hi There...

Wish I could help you with your rules questions but I do not play this game... maybe you might try finding someone who has requested this game in our game request section and contact them... They might be able to help you with the answers you are looking for...

Just an idea to try....

Hope you ahve a Great Evening! :-)
Bob
Bob Best #552
COLTDAGUY

Postby Duncan » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:28 pm

I forwarded a link to this thread to Tim B. who has a match request for Bulge 81 with AHIKS. Now assuming Tim and kbomb aren't the same person, perhaps he'll drop by and give his two cents.

You might also drop Hank B. an email. He can be reached through Above the Fields http://www.abovethefields.com/wargame/download.htm Dunno if he is still around or if the email address is current though.

I've posted the question in the boardgaming section for the Armchair General forums. You can see if there are any responses here http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/s ... ost1811726
Duncan

Return to Wargame Rules Interpretations