Any other model builders?

THE place for AHIKS members to spout off and ramble at will!

Re: Any other model builders?

Postby Duncan » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:33 pm

bstretcher wrote:Just saw this post, several months after the fact. So tell me, is the final paint finish on your tank from airbrushing? I like that type of finish, but I can never get such a finish by using a brush, regardless of the color or age of the paint.
I used a spray can for this one. I own a couple airbrushes but living in a condo means anything to avoid setting and cleaning up is a bonus.
Duncan

Postby bstretcher » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:56 pm

Thought I might try and regenerate this thread. Having received some unexpected bonus "resources" over the holidays, I looked for some games to buy, and found nothing of particular interest. So I spent a little (about one game's worth) on some plastic models to supplement my current collection of military miniatures (not particularly large, with the oldest going back a little less than twenty years, the newest, a 1/72 scale PT-109, completed about 18 months ago).

For about $80, I picked up the following: Tamiya 1/35 scale German recon motorcycle with sidecar, Sdkfz 251 halftrack, and Panther D; Tamiya 1/700 scale Z-class destroyers (a pack of two, to my surprise); an Airfix 1/76 scale MkI Male tank, and Revell 1/72 scale Fokker DrI and Sopwith Camel. I add this to a 1/570 Revell Bismark that I have had for a while, plus a 1/48 scale P-40 and P-61 that my son had received as gifts from other persons years ago but never built, so abandoned to me. That gives me quite a stack, but nothing too difficult. I do not invest a fortune in model building, so no $199 1/350 scale Yamatos (although I did see a rather nice pair of 1/350 WWI light crusiers for $40 on Amazon).

I do find it a relaxing and somewhat rewarding hobby. There is no competition other than time in building models, and any adult with a modicum of experience can build a historical replica that looks decent, even without the professional patina of airbrushing and self-modified parts. Just as I do not fancy myself on any particular game title to the exclusion of most others, I do not have the time, experience or patience to create museum pieces.

Since I now know how to take pictures and keep them of a size that I can post here, I will be, from time to time, posting images of some of my creations. I invite anyone reading this who also builds to do the same.
bstretcher

Postby Duncan » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:02 am

I have been a bit busy to work on models. I have four or five in process though. Here is my 1/72 T-90 waiting for the second colour of it's tri-cammo scheme.

Duncan

Postby Duncan » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:04 am

Here is a 1/35 T-64B that I finished last year.

Duncan

Postby bstretcher » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:38 pm

Nice. Looks like you're out of my league! While I enjoy building them, painting them to the level you do here is typically beyond my ability. I have gotten better with experience, but I have little interest in investing in an airbrush to learn that technique at this time, although I realize it does really look nice. But, they only really have to please me.

Here's some shots of my newest P40B, alongside the Heinkel 111 I built some 20 years ago. Both 1/48 scale.

Model planes.jpg
bstretcher

Postby bstretcher » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:40 pm

Here's the P40 a little closer up.
Attachments
p40b.jpg
bstretcher

Postby Duncan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:39 pm

They both look really nice.
Cammo scares me. I need to attempt it soon.
Duncan

Previous

Return to Off-Topic Cafe'