So what's left?

What makes a wargame tick? Or cluck... Discuss here!

So what's left?

Postby Duncan » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:05 am

I have been looking around at all the wargames available lately. It's been a few years and much of this is new to me. I'm excited by what seems to be a re-birth of the hobby thanks to the new marketing strategies (quality desk top publishing and pre-orders). I read a game trailer commenting, "Yet another East Front game. But this one is different!" And I was wondering what's left to work on. We could have new systems of the same battles (Worthington Games Anzio/Cassino) or re-invent old systems (MMPs Storm Over series). There's been a resurgence of simplified rules and low counter density games I think (GMT/VPG No Retreat and Fading Glory). The systems are new and better. I'm excited by that. But it's still Stalingrad, Anzio, Waterloo, etc... But as I was wondering what battles were left to re-create I happened across a couple aquaintances play-testing a Finish civil war game. Wow... there must be some unmined things to do.

So... if you were to design a game that incorporates a battle yet to be gamed, what would it be?
Duncan

Re: So what's left?

Postby ahikschas » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:43 pm

I would hate to venture. Go look at Grognards or Boardgamegeek and I think you'll find a game on just about every battle ever fought! Some are downright silly in their peculiar subject matter... but then again, those odd ones probably only seem odd to me and only because I'm not familiar with the subject. Die-hard buffs of the particular battle are probably ecstatic that a game exists for their favorite battle.

As for games from large publishers, I would say that the WWII campaign in Norway hasn't gotten enough attention. WWI in Palestine is another theater that could produce some good sims. Also, East Africa in WWI. How about Galipoli? (You can tell I'm a WWI buff...)
ahikschas
Site Admin

Postby Duncan » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:59 pm

There's always Pursuit of Glory for Middle East WWI. Does it include Palestine?

I'm watching some 1950s documentaries about Korea. It seems that the individual battles of that war aren't well represented.

On WWI... what do you think of Grand Illusion? I just picked up a mint copy cheap.
Duncan

Postby ahikschas » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:15 pm

Never played Grand Illusion. For a second I thought you were referring to Le Grande Guerre by Azure Wish. Monster WWI game that you can't get a mint copy cheap. I'd love to get that one some day.

I bet you're right: Korea is probably a much neglected war. I played SPI's Korea back in the day but I haven't seen many titles focusing on battles from that war. (Excuse me, police action)
ahikschas
Site Admin

Postby vmibert » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:58 am

I picked up a neat game that deals with modern urban warfare and has a unique gaming system and you can play it solitare - Boots on the Ground from Worthington Games:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/68876/boots-on-the-ground

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf3mbiGON5g&feature=player_embedded

http://www.worthingtongames.com/detailbotg.html

Try it - you'll like it!

Bert
vmibert

Postby Duncan » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:12 pm

I just picked up WG Anzio/Cassino. One of the things that got me back into wargaming is the large number of simple and low density games available now.
Duncan

Postby COLTDAGUY » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:57 pm

I don't think they have published very many games on US western frontier Indian campaign... I would like to see some games on some of those battles ... Custer ... Fetterman... etc... I think that would be unexplored territory... Something different anyway...

Bob
Bob Best #552
COLTDAGUY

Postby Duncan » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:23 am

I wonder if there's a political reason for that. Now that I'm collecting wargames again I am discovering a lot of stuff I didn't think existed in wargame format. Russo-Japanese War, Spanish Civil War, French/Indian War, etc...
Duncan

Re:

Postby COLTDAGUY » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:00 pm

Duncan wrote:I wonder if there's a political reason for that. Now that I'm collecting wargames again I am discovering a lot of stuff I didn't think existed in wargame format. Russo-Japanese War, Spanish Civil War, French/Indian War, etc...

I don't know.... I kind of doubt it ... I just think that it is not a very desirable era to game and the battles were mostly skirmishes between small bands of men with little historical significance... ergo not much interest.... Not like masses of SS and Russian tanks meeting at Kursk for example... Just my opinion...

Enjoy!
Bob
Bob Best #552
COLTDAGUY

Postby Duncan » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:23 pm

I found Navajo Wars by GMT.
Duncan

Return to Wargame Design