The Zen of Stacking

What makes a wargame tick? Or cluck... Discuss here!

Postby Duncan » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:11 pm

One of the aspects of ASL I like is that it's the hex fired on and not individual units. If you move a stack they all take fire. I always thought this was a bit like when troops of a squad/platoon don't have proper spacing. Rarely a good idea. Especially as they're strolling across the road past that factory window. But stacking limits are the same for all nationalities. Different stacking limits seem to come into play when you start dealing with company and larger units.
Duncan

Re: The Zen of Stacking

Postby ahikschas » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:34 pm

That sounds cool. So you're actually using the hex the units are in to create the odds ratio? (Obviously, I've never played ASL.)
ahikschas
Site Admin

Postby bstretcher » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:39 pm

That concept may have originated in the old SPI game "Soldiers." That was a tactical WWI game, '71 or '72-ish. Units in that game have no defense factors. Instead, the hex provided the defense. Stacking, therefore, is not always a good idea in that game, especially when moving across open ground, but is necessary to concentrate fire (units cannot fire through friendly units at the same elevation in that game). So an attacker is faced with the conundrum of dispersal for protection vs. concentration for attack, all in an early, relatively simple game (complexity a little less than Panzerblitz).

Brian
bstretcher

Re: The Zen of Stacking

Postby urbinoprince » Thu May 03, 2012 10:25 am

I am picking up Gamer's/MMP's Drive on Paris- I understand they have interesting stacking rules, as described in F&M. Esssentially, 3 divisions (?) plus unlimited auxilaries. The review is worth rereading a few times...
urbinoprince

Previous

Return to Wargame Design