100th anaversary of Voss vs RAF56th on September 23rd!

Post here to request a match for a game you are interested in playing.

100th anaversary of Voss vs RAF56th on September 23rd!

Postby Csutherland » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:51 am

Using Richthofens War and adding rules to break the turns down into 2 parts with a reserve ace movement system and adding initiative to the game I believe we can create a flight model that mimics Voss' ability to avoid serious injury for awhile.

12-14 players to properly recreate the scenario.
Csutherland

Re: 100th anaversary of Voss vs RAF56th on September 23rd!

Postby Jeff » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:32 am

Count me in!
Jeff

Postby COLTDAGUY » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:56 am

Csutherland wrote:Using Richthofens War and adding rules to break the turns down into 2 parts with a reserve ace movement system and adding initiative to the game I believe we can create a flight model that mimics Voss' ability to avoid serious injury for awhile.

12-14 players to properly recreate the scenario.

Hi Csutherland ... I would be interested in this also... You might want to consider writing this up and sending a copy to our editor Omar DeWitt to post in the next issue of the K that will come out about August 15th... I think Omar needs the info by about the 10th in order to get it in the K... You might also consider asking for players on the AHIKS Facebook page if you are a member of the AHIKS group there... Let me know more! :-) ... You can email me at b52bob@prodigy.net! Thanks! Bob Best
Bob Best #552
COLTDAGUY

Postby jtjersey » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:13 pm

If you are looking to assemble a group of players to recreate this, count me in. I'm an old hand at R's War and developed a campaign scenario years ago with added rules that may cover some of the things you're looking to do.

John T.
jtjersey

Postby Csutherland » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:41 pm

Ok I will try and finalize the rules, doing some basic play testing now. Going to try and keep it simple, I do have a 12 point turn system for an advanced version of RW but that is for a later date.

The initiative system will call for 2x6 die rolls high man going last. Voss with his skill level and E turn rate is looking at a +6 modifier on the initiative rolls an 6 hex reserve movement. We may be able to skip the splitting the turns into halves.

There was a DV pilot who would have a +2 modifier and 2 reserve movement.

A Piii pilot that for a short time distracted one of the 56th C flight.

On the allied side 2 60th squadron pilots who can chewed early and quickly, with 0, and 1 mods.

Hodge and Rhys both +3, Mac +2 several +1s and a 0 on 56th side if memory serves.

Instead of the IG fire UG fire the fire phase is at the end of all movement with an optional fire phase at the end of normal movement before reserve moment happens with a negative die roll to the combat of 1/2 remaining movement points of the target.
Csutherland

Postby Csutherland » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:32 am

LOL actually this will be the 99th not 100th 2017 will be the hundredth!
Csutherland

Postby jtjersey » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:30 am

Sounds interesting as far as doing movement is concerned. My campaign game used the standard movement rules but that was back in ancient times as far as board wargaming is concerned. Hah Hah! Having initiatives with each side going back and forth with movement and allowing for the skill level of each pilot will surely spice things up a bit. I like your goal of keeping it simple.
jtjersey

Postby Csutherland » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:19 am

Vassal module is created for the scenario, shoot me a pm with email and I can send a copy. I've tested out to turn 4 working very well so far.

Voss +6 Menckoff +2 Unknown P3 pilot +0

60th Hammersly +0 Roberts +1

56th B McCudden +2 Rhys Davids +3 Muspratt +1 Cronyn +0

Top Cover 56th B Jeffs +0 Young +0

56th C Hoidge +3 Bowman +2 Maybery +2

The +x is the ace reserve movement and the initiative die roll modifier.

Turns are as follows roll initiative for all pilots low man goes 1st etc.

Move your MP minus the ace reserve movement. So Mac moves 9 Voss 3 etc.

After any movement you may fire at the target but you subtract 1/2 the targets remaining movement points. So attacking Voss before he moves is -5 (9/2 rounded up)

Also any movement points spent in a turn minus each mp moved straight with a new turn resetting the count. So if a SE turns 3 hexsides moves 2 straight its 5-2 or -3 die roll mod for combat.

Finally attacking from the side hexes is a -1 combat die roll.

There is no minimum straight movement needed to fire.

You may only fire once per turn, but can choose to fire after reg movement, ace movement or at the end of the turn after all movement.

TO recap

1) Initiative Rolls
2) Regular Movement - Ace bonus
A) Optional fire
3) Ace movement
A) Optional Fire

End of turn Fire.

Anyone interested in play testing I can email you the vassal save file.

Game starts with 2x60th on map approaching Voss and DV. at 1300 meters

Turn 2 B Flight arrives 1600 meters. Top cover enters only if Voss climbs 500 meters above all enemies and are placed next to voss with range 1 combat no mods at end of the turn.

Turn 8 B Flight arrives at 1600 meters and the PIII arrives above them at 1900 meters.

Played out 4 turns testing and it seems to allow Voss to live the goal is to survive 48 turns assuming 10 second turns.

Good Luck and Good hunting!

So lets say Rhys is forced to move before Voss, using Regular movement he elects to close on his tail at range 1 moving enough to cover his last turn so no modifier there. However Voss' DR1 has 9 mp (Note he can alter speeds etc when its his turn to move but for simplicity sake we will use 9) so 9/2 rounds to 5 Voss fires -5 DR mod. so he will need to be lucky.

Now lets say MCCudden moved normal movement Voss has moved 9-6=3 mp for regular movement and Mac having 2 mp for ace movement can turn and move to 1 range on Voss from the side. 1 mp for turn is countered by the 1 mp straight. Voss has 6mp left so -3 and -1 for side attack nets Mac a -4 attack at range 1.

Strategy wise it may be best for 56th/60th to try and avoid Voss while killing the DV first waiting for C flight to arrive.

Also I've added Lewis Gun ammo as separate, so the fixed weapon has 12 ammo the Lewis 2x6 the SE5a has to move straight 1 turn to reload the Lewis. If he fires only 1 gun he uses the 1 gun table instead like an Spad 7.
Csutherland

Postby Csutherland » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:19 pm

jtjersey wrote:If you are looking to assemble a group of players to recreate this, count me in. I'm an old hand at R's War and developed a campaign scenario years ago with added rules that may cover some of the things you're looking to do.

John T.

Yes absolutely, I can think of no better way to honor this time then recreate the fight of the century!
Csutherland

Postby jtjersey » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:33 am

Great! I'll send you a pm with where to send the Vassal file and I'll play around with it to familiarize myself with it. The scenario that I worked on with another Rs War enthusiast years ago involved an expansion of the Bloody April campaign game. I'll have to do some digging through some old files to find this stuff and see if would be relevant to what you are up to. It may be a little dated by now.
jtjersey

Next

Return to Opponent Wanted